The sermon on the mount by Jesus
1. Getting serious about Jesus! Matt 5:13-20
2. Murder Matt 5:20-27
3. Relationships Matt 5:27-32
4. My language Matt 5:33-37
5. Revenge: How sweet it isn't! Matt 5:38-6:4
6. Prayer Matt 6:7-15
7. What lasts Matt 6:19-24
8. Worry Matt 6:25-34
9. Judging others Matt 7:1-6
10. What type of person are you Matt 7:15-29
Study Nine: Judging Others
John's parents moved towns and he had to change schools. On the first day many other students stirred him and called him names because he was new and different. John was depressed and felt very alone. He wanted to swap schools because of the way he was treated. As time went by, some students made friends with him, while others picked on him till the day he left school.
1. Do you think the students, knew what John was like on the first day at the new School? Why?
2. Why do you think they picked on him?
3. What are seven things that people may use as a reason to pick on other people? eg. Skin colour
4. How do you think John felt on that first day at school?
5. How have you been treated unfairly by others?
"Don't condemn others, and God will not condemn you. 2God will be as hard on you as you are on others! He will treat you exactly as you treat them.
3You can see the speck in your friend's eye, but you don't notice the log in your own eye. 4How can you say, "My friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you don't see the log in your own eye? 5You're nothing but show-offs! First, take the log out of your own eye. Then you can see how to take the speck out of your friend's eye.
6Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them." Matthew 7:1-6 (CEV)
6. Are the following ideas godly? If not, why?
a. "He never has a good thing to say..."
b. "His whole family act that way"
c. "All foreigners are slow"
d. "Anyone who doesn't live near a beach, would not know culture, if it hit them in the face"
7. What did Jesus mean by 4How can you say, "My friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you don't see the log in your own eye?"
8. What does "6Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them." mean?
9. What are some areas of your life you need to change?
10. How will you go about changing them?