1. Speaking in tongues stopped after the Apostles
2. Speaking in tongues in a heavenly language for private use only
3. Speaking in tongues in a gift from God but is a lesser gift
4. Speaking in tongues is a sign that you received the Holy Spirit
5. Speaking in tongues is proof that you are a believer
Below are some key statement from different churches (Most non charismatic churches do not include their belief in their statements as many statements were written prior to speaking in tongues becoming an issue)
A Link to some groups who are against speaking in tongues Click here
14. GIFTS: WE BELIEVE in the present day operation of the nine supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit, as recorded in 1 Corinthians 12. We also believe in the ministry gifts of Christ, as recorded in Ephesians 4:11- 13.
15. DIVINE HEALING: In accordance with the teachings of the Scriptures, we trust our heavenly Father to protect and heal our bodies from sickness and disease. WE BELIEVE that divine healing for the body, as with all redemptive blessings of God, has been provided for us by the atoning death and victorious resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ; it is the privilege of all believers and it is appropriated by faith in our heavenly Father's unfailing promises - Exodus 15:26; Isaiah 53:4; Matthew 8:16,17; 1 Peter 2:24; Psalms 103:3; James 5:14-15; Mark 16:17-18.
THE CHURCH OF THE FOURSQUARE GOSPEL
BAPTISM WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
We believe that the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is to endue the believer with power; and that His incoming is after the same manner as in Bible days (Acts 2:4).
THE GIFTS AND
The baptism of the Holy Spirit for believers, with signs following.
The nine gifts of the Holy Spirit for the edification, exhortation and comfort of the Church which is the Body of Christ.
CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
XIV. Divine Healing
18. We believe in the Bible doctrine of divine healing and urge our people to seek to offer the prayer of faith for the healing of the sick. We also believe God heals through the means of medical science.
(2 Kings 5:1-19; Psalm 103:1-5; Matthew 4:23-24; 9:18-35; John 4:46-54; Acts 5:12-16; 9:32-42; 14:8-15; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; 2 Corinthians 12:7-10; James 5:13-16)
CHRISTIAN CITY CHURCH INTERNATIONAL
in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a gift available to believers subsequent to the new birth, with the normal evidence of speaking in other tongues
Baptism Of The Holy Spirit
The baptism of the Holy Spirit as an experience subsequent to salvation, with the scriptural evidence, namely, speaking "with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance." (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8; 2:1-4; 38-39; 8:13-17; 10:44-47; 11:15-17; 19:1-7).
The Gifts Of
CHRISTIAN REVIVAL CENTRES
The Baptism in the Holy Spirit – distinct from new birth and accompanied by speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of the receiving of this gift by faith. It empowers the believer for effective witness and gives access to the nine gifts of the Spirit.
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit – are supernatural gifts for the edification and equipping of the church for ministry. They are given by the Holy Spirit and exercised by the believer through faith.
The Fruit of the Holy Spirit – such as love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, meekness and self-control characterise the life of the believer and the ministry of the church.
Divine Healing – affirmed throughout the Bible, divine healing and divine deliverance are available to all through faith in the redemptive death and victorious resurrection of Christ.
Gifts of the
Fruit of the
Paragraph 7 The Ministry of the Holy Spirit
WE BELIEVE that the Holy Spirit was poured out on the Church at Pentecost in power, baptizing believers into the Body of Christ and releasing the gifts of the Spirit to them. The Spirit brings the permanent indwelling presence of God to us for spiritual worship, personal sanctification, building up the Church, gifting us for ministry, and driving back the kingdom of Satan by the evangelization of the world through proclaiming the word of Jesus and doing the works of Jesus.
WE BELIEVE that
Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is our
Helper, Teacher, and Guide. We believe in the filling or empowering of
the Holy Spirit, often a conscious experience, for ministry today. We
in the present ministry of the Spirit and in the exercise of all of the
biblical gifts of the Spirit. We practice the laying on of hands for
empowering of the Spirit, for healing, and for recognition and
of those whom God has ordained to lead and serve the Church
THE HOLY SPIRIT AND SPIRITUAL GIFTS
We believe that a Christian permanently becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit the moment he is saved; We believe that God the Holy Spirit is sovereign in the bestowing of His gifts and that He has given evangelists, pastors and teachers as sufficient for the edifying of the church today; that the sign gifts such as miracles, tongues and healings (as in miraculous healers) were for a purpose past in the establishment of the early church and that these have now ceased with the passing of the apostolic era.
believe that the
Charismatic/Pentecostal movement is not a Scriptural movement and is
supported in any form by this church (Rom 8:1-14; I Cor 6:19-20; Cf. I
Cor 1:4-7 with 3:1-4).